A story on my return to the Occult

For a large part of my life, I have practiced occult ritual. But there was a period of my life when I didn’t. Two periods actually… The first was when I was younger and raised by my father, a minister. As you can imagine that would make such interests difficult to realize. But it was later that I chose to put occult research and practice on hold. The whole situation started with the Golden Dawn, and my leaving the practice over some problems I encountered. It was the return to the occult that is of most importance in this little post.

I reached a point in the Golden Dawn where I felt a lot of pressure, stress and bad ethics from others. I began to feel out of tune and searched for something more compatible with who I was….

I chose to become a member of a controversial religion, at that time. Without going into details – I ultimately left the religion… but during the time I was a member I didn’t practice one aspect of the occult. I had turned my ritual/meditation room into a storage room.

Then it happened. It was one night, on Thanksgiving week where something miraculous occurred. I was having a urge to return to the occult. This night manifested that desire.

Backstory
The garage door to my house’s garage had recently broken. The springs had snapped, the door had crashed down and the engine tried to lift the doors, burned out as it had no counterbalancing on the weight of these massive doors. My wife and I couldn’t for the life of us, lift the doors. The problem: Her car was inside the garage. I called up various repair men, but they all told me the same story – I’d have to wait till after Thanksgiving week before they could come out and remedy the situation.

The Meeting of an Angel
Fantastic. I was quite frustrated. One night, while smoking a cigar, I stood in my garage and just thought about my life. I hungered for the occult again. I wanted the mystical back in my life. It was in that moment that a strong impulse hit me. I felt a strong desire to Scry the Tattva, Prithvi. The Eastern symbol for the Element of Earth.

Without any regalia… without any ritual equipment… there with just a cigar in hand, I performed the LBRP. I traced the pentagrams with the smoke of the burning cigar. Then I used a technique attributed to Crowley… of imaging the symbol you wish to enter – in a place in the room, then imagine it quickly approaching you (enlarging over your body as it passes through you), coming to a stop on the other side of the magician. Like having a freight train head straight at you.

It had been such a LONG time since I had attempted anything occult. But in that moment… BAM I was there. In Prithvi. At least part of my mind was there. I saw this scene in my mind… a pebble beach upon a lake’s shore. A cloaked figure in white stood to one side of me. A golden light seemed to color his clothes with the hue of the morning dawn.

I asked his name, and mentally heard, “Boriel” I asked him to write it out (an old occult belief that spiritual beings must write their true name) and he spelled it something like that… it was hard to tell. The vision wasn’t perfectly clear.

At that moment I thought, “This is all in my head…” and he responded, “test me.” “OK!” I thought, and asked for Boriel to move a chair in my garage across the floor. “NO” he said, “you have no interest in a chair moving across the room. Ask me to accomplish something important to you.” How stupid I was! I was asking for a parlor trick and he came to help me.

The garage door! Yes, of course. “Boriel, if you are really there, please fix my garage door, so my wife can get her car out of here. Even if it just works once, that’s all I need.”

“I’ll do it,” came his mental response. He requested I touch the machinery that was burned out. So I did exactly that. I walked over to the garage door opener and lightly touched the bottom of it. There was a loud “Clunk” immediately inside. It was a tad disturbing to hear a sound like that on touch. I tried the door opener. Nothing. Nothing but a loud electric hum.

Feeling defeated I walked in the house and decided to do research in the name Boriel (which I had never heard of before.) I looked in my Golden Dawn teachings… nothing. I examined Mather’s/Crowley’s book 777 in the correspondence tables… no mention of a Boriel. I was about to give up, when a odd google search found it. Boriel was referenced in a table of angels in the Ars Paulina. Not only was he listed there, but he was listed as an angel corresponding to the element of Earth. The very same element I was scrying via that Tattva.

I decided to make some changes – I cleaned out my old magick/meditation room. I began meditation again. I also began daily scrying of Prithvi.

It was three days after meeting Boriel that I got a response from him. Near 11pm, I was leaving my meditation room, when I felt Boriel say to me “Try the garage door now.” I had tried it every day. With no luck. But now he tells me to specifically try it. I honestly didn’t think it would work. My faith was so low in fact, that I stood in the garage in my underwear, obviously not expecting much.

I pressed the opener. The burned out opener makes a odd “CLICK” and switches on. The track starts to move. The track locks on the heavy garage door.

My mouth is hanging open, as I stand there in white socks and underwear. I’m oblivious to the notion that once the door comes up my neighbors will see me in this state.

The door, having no counterbalancing springs (as they had snapped), beings to rise and be pulled up by the opener. It was in that moment that I realized my state of dress and ran into the house.

My wife came shouting, “How did you fix it?”

“I asked an angel to fix it,” was my only reply.

That was the resurgence of the occult in my life. It also proved to me that these forces and beings are not just simply aspects of my mind. But they have their own being and intelligence.

0 comments: