True Will

I've been reading the writings of someone I respect in the Thelemic community - someone who's ideas are very intriguing. I wrote him privately about the concept of True Will.

What I tried to ask is this: Isn't knowing someone's true will quite easy?

Now I could be wrong, and I'm willing to conceed, if it can be presented to me (and my world view) in a logical manner. Here is my axioms and points:

- I believe in Karma as a reflection of the motivation of our actions
- I believe all beings seek pleasure
- I believe all beings avoid pain
- There is a difference between mundane will and spiritual will. Mundane will may appear to be, "i want to steal a car" but the true will of our highest self would be the best action for our greatest return (meaning spiritual return.)

Those first three axioms are basically Buddhist doctrine - I was once a Buddhist and that path has influenced me perhaps more than any other I've traveled. The fourth axiom listed, is my own assessment.

So considering those four axioms, one could predict my true will. They could say:
- "It's not your true will to harm another"
- "it's not your true will to steal anything from another."
and so on...

But how can anyone possibly say those are not my true will?

Because, they will return in negative ways to me. I don't want to feel distress. I want to feel joy. so my true will is clear: To do only those acts that help the greatest number, and cause the least amount of destruction/pain.

Now I could be wrong. But that's where I'm coming from. I enjoy reading Thelemic works, as they rotate around the concept of Will, directly... but I think that True Will is not something unknown but quite easily seen.

Am I wrong? Perhaps, but if so, I need to be shown the error of my ways, before I can except it.

0 comments: