Liber Librae verse 6

I was re-reading Liber Librae from Equinox Vol. 1 Nos 1

Another verse has caught my attention:
"6. Be not hasty to condemn others; how knowest thou that in their place, thou couldest have resisted the temptation? And even were it so, why shouldst thou despise one who is weaker than thyself?"

It reminds me of the Mahayana Buddhist practice of exchanging self with others. A practice that Master Shantideva goes into great commentary on.

In fact Crowley's writing style here reminds me of Shantideva - it's similar here with giving alternatives, and then answering each one in turn.

Here we have two possibilities: a) don't condemn others because you don't know if you'd fail at the same situation and b) if you wouldn't fail, don't condemn another who is weaker then you.

It's not just good advice, but it's very important to my life. I find often, various people that I become frustrated with. I shouldn't. I should realize that what has frustrated me is their lack of strength in a situation... and i dont know if I would succeed or fail, if the same situation presented itself to me.

0 comments: