What's all this Bickering and Arguing?

In the spiritualist communities it seems this is the norm.

Perhaps it's not indicative of spiritualism, but rather the Internet as a whole...

I came to a conlusion in the last year, that I wont get involved in pointless bickering and arguing. I'm not talking about discussion, where you might present an idea in opposition - to gain some insight or to provide insight... rather I'm talking about the pointless arguing going on throughout the mystical/magickal/spiritual societies and communities.

While I've tried to express my feelings on the matter, I think I might not be clear enough. Recently, while reading Raja Yoga (one of the books of required reading for student of the A.'.A.'. - but you needant be following Thelema to appreciate the wisdom of the book), I came across these quotes:

From Raja Yoga (by Vivekananda) page 144 (the chapter on Concentration):
"Do not answer any argument but go away calmly, because arguments only distrub the mind. The only use of argument is to train the intellect. When that is accomplished, what is the use of disturbing it further?"

Vivekananda's commentary is to say - sure it's fine to discuss something... maybe argue a concept to learn from it. But when that is accomplished (no more learning) why disturb the mind further? So when does it become accomplished? When a person you are arguing with, or perhaps yourself, no longer ads anything to the dialogue. When the same principals are repeated over and over. Another sign, is when you or your partner in the discussion begins to ignore your words - perhaps even misrepresenting ideas, in order to "best" or "win."

Further on the next page Vivekananda states, "Every argument throws his mind out of balance, creates a disturbance in the chitta; and a disturbance is a drawback. Argumentation and reasoning are only preliminary stages; there are things beyond them. The whole of life is not for schoolboy fights and debating societies."

I love that passage. Here the commentary is we grow through learning stages... first by arguing.. and then later we learn by going beyond the intellect. I love the passage about debating societies.

Perhaps this is the best advice (taken from page 144): "Do not argue, he says; if anyone forces arguments upon you, be silent."

I've recently put that into practice. In deed arguments distrub the mind. I began to see my mind becoming vexed with arguments last year. Once the argument is put out there, especially on the internet, part of our mind is on that argument. Ever thinking and pondering what others are saying. How to respond.

For me I've determined it's best to remain silent... or if possible, very humble in the posting... so humble that no evil intent will respond back to the post. This is especially true when the other person you are discussing with is inconsiderate, cocky, disrespectful, or modifying your statements to suit their argument. Such a one, will only take your mind off your work - causing disruption.

0 comments: